Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Abner Stocking, American Third Division

Private Stocking was originally from Connecticut. Stationed in British Quebec. Winter of 1775.


November 1st. Our fatigue and anxiety were so great that we were but little refreshed the last night by sleep. We started however very early, hungry and wet. Knowing that our lives depended on our speedy arrival to an inhabited country, we marched very briskly all day and even until late in the evening. We then encamped in a fine grove, but in a starving condition. Captain Goodrich's company had the good fortune to kill a large black dog, that providentially came to them at that time. They feasted on him heartily without either bread or salt. Our hunger was so great that many offered dollars for a single mouthful of bread. Such distress I never before felt, or witnessed. I anxiously turned my thoughts back to my native land, to a country flowing with milk and honey. I was surprised that I had so lightly esteemed all the good things which I there once enjoyed. Little, thought I, do we know of the value of the common blessings of providence, until we are deprived of them. With such reflections I laid myself down on the cold, wet ground, hungry and fatigued.

I will be posting letters from the front lines of the Revolutionary war every day until the 4th of July. We must never forget the price of the freedoms we take for granted. On the backs of the original rebels, Americans. I will never forget.


Posterity: you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it. - John Quincy Adams

No comments:

Post a Comment