Friday, April 1, 2011

April is Autism Awareness Month

Via
My job is a love hate type of thing. Somedays its really challenging  and somedays I tear up with pride and happiness from watching my kiddos learn. I have learned so much in the past year (April marks my 1 year with my company) from this job. I have gained an immense amount of patients (which I work on every day), understanding and control. There is still so much to be learned about autism. When I found this job I was looking for something that would rekindle my passion for psychology. This job has definitely done that for me. These kids are the complete opposite of disable in so many ways. They are so smart (some even savants!) and caring. A few of the awesome memories I never want to forget:

- Thursday kid playing along side another kid at the play ground (I totally happy cried)
- Watching my M/W kid tie their shoes for the first time after weeks of my co workers and I practicing with him (totally happy cried again)
- Any of the kids remembering my name
- M/W kid telling me he liked my "bright red nail things" (he meant polish)

I hope sometime this month any of you out there look into autism and what its about. Better yet! Check out Walk for Autism and find a walk near you! Or follow Carly on twitter, the funniest 16 year old around. Carly is autistic and communicates through typing on an iPad! She is so amazing!!

In any regard I hope everyone has a prank joke free April first and a great new month!

No comments:

Post a Comment